Fort Call (2)
Fort Call (2) (1836-1838) - A U.S. Army post established in 1836 during the Second Seminole War by Captain (Bvt Major) John L. Gardner in present day Volusia, Volusia County, Florida. Probably named for General Richard K. Call, Florida Governor and commander during the Battle of Wahoo Swamp (21 Nov 1836) which preceded the establishment of Fort Call. Abandoned in 1838.
Fort Call (2) History
During the Battle of Wahoo Swamp General Call chose to withdraw his troops back to Volusia when he was unable to pursue the hostile Seminoles through the swamp. Call was replaced by Major General Thomas Jesup on 9 Dec 1836. Fort Call was established on 10 Dec 1836 by Captain Gardner and units who had fought at Wahoo Swamp.
Abandoned 22 Mar 1838.
No remains in Volusia, Volusia County, Florida