Fort Bunker Hill (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War fort in Northeast Washington DC. Construction began in fall 1861 and was completed in 1863. Named for the Revolutionary War fort at Bunker Hill, Massachusetts. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Bunker Hill History
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in the fall of 1861 by the 11th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. Positioned between Fort Totten (2) and Fort Lincoln (2). Thirteen guns and mortars were mounted in the fort.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Bunker Hill, Capt. Charles Heine commanding.–Garrison, withdrawn; works guarded by Fourteenth Michigan Battery, from Camp Barry–1 ordnance-sergeant. Armament, eight 32-pounder barbette, one 8-inch siege howitzer, one Coehorn mortar, one 10-inch siege mortar, one 4-inch ordnance, two 30-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Bunker Hill Earthworks Remains
Limited remains in Bunker Hill Park, Northeast Washington DC.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 530171
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134
- NPS Civil War Defenses of Washington - Appendix E: General Reports About the Defenses
Visited: 25 May 2013