Fort Buchanan (1856-1862) - A U.S. Army post established in 1856 as Camp Moore (1) by Major George A.H. Blake, 1st U.S. Dragoons in Santa Cruz County, Arizona. Named for Captain Benjamin D. Moore, 1st U.S. Dragoons, who was killed during the Battle of San Pascual during the Mexican War. Renamed on 29 May 1857 for President James Buchanan. Abandoned to confederate forces on 23 Jul 1861. Occupied by Confederates until abandoned to Union forces on 4 May 1862. Abandoned by Union forces shortly thereafter. Also known as Camp near Calabasas.
Private property, Santa Cruz County, Arizona
Location: Private property, Santa Cruz County, Arizona.
Maps & Images
Lat: 31.6528677 Long: -110.7117500
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 35
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 11
Fort Buchanan Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!