Fort Brumback (1942-1944) - A World War II Coastal Fort first established in 1942 on Constantine Point, Unalaska Island, Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska. Named Fort Brumback on 2 Apr 1943 after Lieutenant Virgil J. Brumback (Cullum 2914). Abandoned in 1944.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Dutch Harbor.
Fort Brumback was activated on 30 Apr 1942 with a single battery of four 155mm GPF guns mounted on field mounts. Later in 1943 Seabees constructed four Panama mounts alongside the road below Mount Coxcomb. The battery area included Elephant Steel shelters for ready ammunition storage. One of these shelters served as the Battery plotting room. Other facilities included a battery BC Station, a tramway to the BC Station, two searchlight positions, a war reserve ammunition magazine and a garrison cantonment area located in the valley behind Summer Bay (aka Humpy Cove).
The cantonment area included some 70 Quonset huts and 10 frame structures configured to provide barracks, a large single mess hall, administrative and supply buildings and other support facilities. The mess hall was configured from 5 Quonset huts and a single frame building to feed up to 250 personnel.
Deactivated by early 1944.
Some remains at Constantine Point, Unalaska Island, Alaska. The Panama mounts, War Reserve Magazine and the BC Station reportedly still survive but the structures in the cantonment area have been removed.