Fort Bragg (2)
Fort Bragg (2) (1857-1864) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1857 during the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. Horatio Gates Gibson, 3rd U.S. Artillery in the present day town of Fort Bragg, Mendocino County, California. Named for Captain Braxton Bragg, 3rd U.S. Artillery, who served in the Mexican War and who later became a Confederate General during the U.S. Civil War. The post abandoned in 1864. Also known as Camp Bragg (2) and Fort at Mendocino.
Established as a U.S. Army post on 11 Jun 1857 during the California Gold Rush by 1st Lt. Horatio Gates Gibson and elements of Company M from the 3rd U.S. Artillery. The post was located on the Pacific coast south of Cape Mendocino within the Mendocino Indian reservation. The post both protected the Mendocino Indians and tried to keep them on the reservation.
A Marker and one building, the Quartermaster’s storehouse and commissary building at 430 N. Franklin Street, in the town of Fort Bragg, Mendocino County, California.
Visited: 15 Nov 2012