Fort Bisland (1863-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War earthworks fort established in 1863 in St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. Named Fort Bisland after Dr. Thomas Bisland, a nearby landowner. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Camp Bisland.
History of Fort Bisland
Established in 1863 by Confederate Major General Richard Taylor as an earthwork fortification to block Union forces. A battle ensued at the fort on 12-13 Apr 1863 and the Confederate forces abandoned the fort. Union forces under Major General Nathaniel Banks occupied the fort and controlled the area until the end of the war.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1865 at the end of the war.
Archeological remains only in St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. Marker along U.S. Highway 90.