Fort Bird (1841-1842) - Established by Maj. Jonathon Bird and volunteers from the 4th Brigade, Texas Militia, in Sep - Oct 1841. It was abandoned when the volunteer's enlistments expired in Mar 1842. Also known as Bird's Fort
Fort Bird History
The fort was stockaded and contained a blockhouse and several cabins.
From the marker: "Established in 1840 by Jonathan Bird on the Military Rd. from Red River to Austin. In its vicinity an important Indian treaty, marking the line between the Indians and the white settlements, was signed September 29, 1843, by Edward H. Tarrant and George W. Terrell, representing the Republic of Texas. The ragged remnant of the ill-fated Snively expedition sought refuge here, August 6, 1843. (1936)"
Only a marker remains. Marker may be located on South Main Street at the Silver Lake Gun Club
Location: South Main at Silver Lake Gun Club, Arlington, Texas. Map Location is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.798602 Long: -97.082276
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 142
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 155
- Pierce, Gerald S., Texas Under Arms:The Camps, Posts, Forts & Military Towns of the Republic of Texas 1836-1846, Encino Press, Austin TX, 1969, ISBN/ASIN: B0006CYB9I, page 19
- North American Forts - Bird's Fort
- Fort Tours - Bird's Fort
- Bird's Fort Site
- Fort Tours
- The Handbook of Texas OnLine
Fort Bird Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!