Fort Berwick (1861-1862) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 near present day Morgan City, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. Abandoned in 1862 after the fall of New Orleans.
History of Fort Berwick
A Confederate fortification established in late July 1861 near present day Morgan City, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. Described by Confederate Major General John L. Lewis as being "...situated about 4 miles from Brashear City, at the junction of Wax Bayou and the Atchafalaya River." The fort was located below Brashear City (now Morgan City) and like Fort Chene guarded the bayou approaches to that city from the Gulf.
The fort was a quadrangular earthworks with 5' earth parapets on three sides and protected from the rear with a 7' high loopholed palisade. The exterior was surrounded with a moat 6' wide in front and 3' wide in the rear. The fort was armed with two 24 pounder pivot guns to control the outlet of Wax Bayou but not the river itself.
The garrison of the fort was described on 12 Sep 1861 as "... two companies, one of infantry and one of sappers and miners."
The fort was ordered abandoned in April 1862 after the fall of New Orleans.
Unknown status. Both the river channel and the bayou channel may have shifted over time.
Location: Near Morgan City, St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. The map point is approximate from the written description.
Maps & Images
Lat: 29.65878 Long: -91.24735
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 330.
- War of the Rebellion: Serial 006 Page 0736 OPERATIONS IN W. FLA., S. ALA., S. MISS., AND LA.
- North American Forts - Fort Berwick
- Bill Thayer's Website - Kendall's History of New Orleans, page 270.