Fort Bayard (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Bayard (2) (1866-1900) - A U.S. Army post established in 1866 after the U.S. Civil War near present day Santa Clara in Grant County, New Mexico. Named for Brigadier General George D. Bayard, who died 14 Dec 1862 of wounds received at Fredericksburg during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned as a garrisoned post in 1900 and became U.S. Army Tuberculosis Sanitarium.
Fort Bayard (2) History
Established 21 Aug 1866 during the Sioux Indian Wars to protect miners from hostile Indians. The post was built out as an open plan, four company post built around a central parade. The officer's quarters line the northwest side of the parade and the four enlisted barracks lined the opposite side.
Discontinued as a garrisoned post on 2 Jan 1900 and turned over for use as a U.S. Army Tuberculosis Sanitarium. On 1 May 1922 Fort Bayard became a VA hospital. In 1965 the State of New Mexico assumed control of the post as a long tern health care facility and remained so until it was abandoned in 2010.
Abandoned Veterans Administration Hospital now state owned near Silver City, Grant County, New Mexico.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Bayard Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 919967
- Location: Grant County, New Mexico, US, FIPS Code: 35017
- Latitude: 32.7961111, Longitude: -108.1497222, Elevation: 6115 Map: Fort Bayard
- As Of: 1 Aug 1993
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Near Santa Clara in Grant County, New Mexico.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.797834 Long: -108.149465
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 522
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 97-98
Fort Bayard (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!