Fort Barrington (1751-1780, 1860s) - A British colonial fort established in 1751 in present day McIntosh County, Georgia. Named for British Lieutenant Colonel Josiah Barrington. Abandoned in 1780. Also known as Fort Howe (2).
Fort Barrington History
Established in 1751 as an Indian defense that was a 70' square wood structure with bastions at each corner. In the center was a two story barracks with a lookout tower.
The fort site was occupied by Confederate forces during the U.S. Civil War.
State marker only, McIntosh County, Georgia