Fort Allen (4)
Fort Allen (4) (1774-Unk) - A Lord Dunmore's War Fort established in 1774 near present day Fort Allen, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Probably named Fort Allen after Andrew Allen of the Pennsylvania Supreme Executive Council. Used as a settler refuge through the Revolutionary War and abandoned as a fortification at the end of Indian hostilities. Also known as Truby's Blockhouse.
Established in 1774 during Lord Dunmore's War (1774) and provided settler protection through the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). Resulted from a petition to Governor John Penn by eighty Pennsylvania German pioneer settlers of Brush Creek and Harrold's settlement for aid in the Indian uprising of 1774. The fort was commanded by Colonel Christopher Truby and was sometimes known as Truby's Blockhouse. It was never attacked.
Abandoned as a fortification at the end of Indian hostilities.
A roadside marker and a separate stone mounted plaque commemorate the site.