Fort Allen (1)
Fort Allen (1) (1756-1761) - A French & Indian War Fort established in 1756 in Weissport, Carbon County, Pennsylvania. Named Fort Allen after then Provincial Chief Justice William Allen of Pennsylvania. Abandoned in 1761.
Established in 1756 under the direct supervision of Benjamin Franklin in response to a number of hostile Indian attacks. Built as a 12 foot high stockade measuring 125 feet long by 50 feet wide with two half bastions on the opposing long side corners and two bastions in the middle of long sides. The two half bastions each mounted a swivel gun. The stockade enclosed officers quarters and two barracks buildings. Inside the fort was a 19 foot deep well, known as the Franklin Well.
Abandoned in 1761 as a regularly garrisoned post but used intermittently after that.
The Franklin well still exists but no other remains. A Pennsylvania state marker is located 112 Franklin Street.