Fort Adams (1) Advanced Redoubt
Fort Adams (1) Advanced Redoubt (184?-1946) - Established in 184? as a redoubt in advance of Fort Adams on the northern end of Aquidneck Island in Newport County, Rhode Island. Mostly completed under the supervision of 1st Lieutenant Isaac Ingalls Stevens. Abandoned in 1946.
Fort Adams (1) Advanced Redoubt History
Established in 184? as a redoubt in advance of Fort Adams on the high ground about 1/4 mile from the fort. The original intent was for the Advanced Redoubt to deny any enemy approaching from the land side the ability to lay siege to the fort from the high ground.
The redoubt was itself a sophisticated stone fortress that included inner and outer ditches, reverse fire galleries, interconnecting tunnels and a central core with an unusual dual circular staircase. Access to the central core over the inner and outer ditch was by drawbridge. The outer ditch formed a square and had reverse fire galleries that were connected to the inner works by tunnels. The inner works were bounded by the outer ditch and the inner ditch. While the outer ditch was square in shape, the inner ditch was shaped like a horseshoe around five sides of the central core. The sixth side of the central core faced the outer ditch and contained a drawbridge.
As the military need for the redoubt declined it was use for a variety of other purposes.
The Redoubt was abandoned along with Fort Adams in 1946.
Part of Fort Adams State Park, Newport County, Rhode Island. Parts being restored but the redoubt is not yet open to the public.
Visited: 4 Jun 2012
Fort Adams (1) Advanced Redoubt Picture Gallery