Fishkill Barracks

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fishkill Barracks (1776-1783) - A Revolutionary War cantonment and supply depot established in 1776 near the present day town of Fishkill, Dutchess County, New York. Abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war. Also known as Fishkill Supply Depot.

Fishkill Barracks - Van Wyck Homestead Requisitioned During the Revolution as Officer's Headquarters. The only Remaining Structure from Fishkill Barracks.

History of Fishkill Barracks

Established in 1776 as the largest of the Continental army depots. The depot supplied the northern department and was expanded to including barracks for some 2,000 troops. Besides the barrack and officer huts, the depot included a palisade, a parade ground, artillery emplacements, a prison, a hospital, storehouses, an armory, blacksmith shops, stables and a powder magazine.

Patriot Major General Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben established his headquarters in Fishkill and General George Washington established his headquarters on the other side of the Hudson River at Newburgh. The site chosen for the cantonment and depot was strategic in that the Albany to New York Post Road (NY-9 Hwy) and the Great Indian Warrior Trading Path passed through here allowing access to southern New York and northward to Albany and the great lakes as well as connections to other major eastern trails.

Fishkill was deactivated as a supply depot late in 1782 as the war wound down. The Quartermaster Commissary Department removed the remaining munitions and general stores.

Current Status

Much of the Fishkill Barracks and Fishkill Supply Depot area was obliterated by the development of the Dutchess Mall and the exit 13 interchange on I-84. The Van Wyck Homestead remains the only restored structure actually on the site and there is a Revolutionary War burial ground nearby. Several markers refer to the revolutionary period including:

  • Mount Gulian - Headquarters of Patriot Major General Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben during the Revolution and in 1783, the site of the formation of the Society of the Cincinnati. Now Mount Gulian Historic Site, 145 Sterling Street, Beacon, NY 12524, phone 845-831-8172.
  • Dutch Reformed Church of Fishkill - Occupied by the New York Provincial Congress and used as a prison during the Revolution. Now First Reformed Church, 1153 Main St. Fishkill, NY 12524, phone 845-896-9836.
  • Trinity Church - Used as a military hospital by the Continental Army until it was disbanded 2 Jun 1783.
  • Van Wyck Homestead - Adjacent to the site of Fiskill Barracks, used as the site of Continental Army headquarters of General Horatio Gates.

Location: Fishkill, Dutchess County, New York.

Maps & Images

Lat: 41.51944 Long: -73.89056

See Also:

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 8 Jun 2016


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Toolbox