Ephrata Army Airfield
Ephrata Army Airfield (1939-1945) - A World War II era U.S. Army Airfield established in 1939 near Ephrata, Grant County, Washington. Named Ephrata Army Airfield after the location. Transferred to civilian control after the end of WWII in 1945 and it is now Ephrata Municipal Airport.
Ephrata Army Airfield was established in 1939 as a support airfield for bombing and gunnery ranges in the area. The airfield was transferred to Fourth Air Force in 1940 as a group training airfield for the B-17 Flying Fortress being delivered from the Boeing plant near Seattle. Later it was reassigned to Second Air Force when heavy bombardment group training was reassigned to that command. The Air Technical Service Command also used it as an aircraft maintenance and supply depot.
On 25 Sep 1945, Major General Willis H. Hale, Fourth Air Force, notified Ephrata Army Airfield that it was temporarily inactivated, and was being turned over to War Assets Administration (WAA) for disposal.
The airfield was transferred to Grant County and developed into a commercial airport in the late 1940s.
Now Ephrata Municipal Airport.
Visited: 30 Jul 2022