Ellensburg Army Airfield
Ellensburg Army Airfield (1943-1945) - A World War II U.S. Army Airfield established in 1943 near Ellensburg, Kittitas County, Washington. First named Ellensburg Army Airfield after the location. Closed after the end of WWII in 1945. Now used as a civil airport.
Established in 1943 as Ellensburg Army Airfield and manned by the 302nd Base Headquarters and Air Base Squadron. Originally planned as a fighter airfield for Fourth Air Force, the Airfield was later taken over by Air Technical Service Command as a maintenance and supply depot. The Airfield then supported transient Lend-Lease aircraft being flown to Alaska for subsequent transfer to the Soviet Union.
The airfield had one auxiliary field which is now abandoned, although the remains of a runway are still visible on Google Maps.
Military use ended in February 1945, and the airfield was turned over to the War Assets Administration and later transferred to Kittitas County for use as a civil airport.
Now county-owned, public-use airport called Bowers Field.