Egg Rock Battery
Egg Rock Battery (1898-1901) - A temporary Endicott Period coastal gun battery established in 1898 as a result of the Spanish American War on Egg Rock Island in Hancock County, Maine. Abandoned in 1901.
Egg Rock Battery History
The battery on Egg Rock Island was a temporary emplacement of two 10-inch smoothbore Rodman cannons. These guns were emplaced on wooden platforms. The battery was established to protect the entrance to Frenchman Bay and the harbors of Bar Harbor and Winter Harbor. The magazines for this battery were never completed and the cannons were abandoned in place in 1901. This island was very small and contained only a lighthouse in addition to the battery.
No remains on Egg Rock Island, Hancock County, Maine. The two 10-inch smoothbore cannons were abandoned on the island in 1901 and sporadically maintained by the lighthouse personnel. In 1991 the Coast Guard and the Connecticut National Guard used a "Sky Crane" helicopter to move the huge guns to shore where they were refurbished, supplied with steel mounts and placed in Agamont Park, where they remain. The dedication of the cannons was held 26 Apr 1992.
Visited: Area 10 Jun 2013