Ebey Blockhouse (1855-1858) - A set of four blockhouses connected by a 12 foot stockade. First established in 1855 during the Yakima Indian War (1855-1858) by Jacob Ebey on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington. Named after Jacob Ebey. Abandoned as a fortification after the end of the war in 1858.
Ebey Blockhouse History
Originally built in 1855 by Jacob Ebey as set of four blockhouses connected by a 12 foot stockade during the Yakima Indian War (1855-1858). The blockhouses were built on a ridge overlooking Jacob's Sunnyside farm on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington, before the August 1857 murder of Colonel Isaac N. Ebey by hostile Indians. Ebey's family escaped to the blockhouse but the Indians killed, scalped and beheaded Colonel Ebey. Several more blockhouses were built as a result of this murder including the Davis Blockhouse. The blockhouses were abandoned as a fortification after the end of the war in 1858.
One of the blockhouses and the Jacob Ebey home have survived and have been restored. Access to the structures is by a short .2 mile hiking trail from the parking lot near the end of the Cemetery Road at Sunnyside Cemetery. The start of this trail is also near the site of the Davis Blockhouse inside the cemetery grounds.
Visited: 11 May 2014