Dobb's Ferry Forts
Dobb's Ferry Forts (1776-1783) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 at Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County, New York. Abandoned in 1783.
History of Dobb's Ferry Forts
Fortifications were established in 1776 at Dobbs Ferry and across the Hudson above Sneden's Landing to protect the ferry between them. The ferry crossing was important because it was the first possible crossing above Fort Lee (some 10 miles). The western side of the Hudson between Fort Lee and Sneden's Landing was an almost vertical stone cliffs known as the Palisades.
The main fortification was on a horseshoe shaped projection overlooking the east shore ferry landing, and included at least two minor redoubts. The British took the position when they occupied New York but the patriots regained the forts in January 1777. In 1780 a wood and stone blockhouse was built 1500 feet north of Sneden's Landing at the west shore landing.
Abandoned in 1783 at the end of the war.