Detroit Arsenal (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Detroit Arsenal (2) (1940-Present) - Originally a U.S. Government owned tank manufacturing arsenal established in 1940 and completed in 1941 at the beginning of World War II. Operated by Chrysler in present day Warren, Macomb County, Michigan. The tank plant was closed in 1996 and part of the land was transferred to the City of Warren in 2001. The remainder is an active Army installation. Also known as Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant and U.S. Army Garrison Detroit Arsenal.

Detroit Arsenal WWII M-3 Tank Assembly Line
Detroit Arsenal WWII M-3 Tank Assembly
Detroit Arsenal WWII M-3 Tank Ready for Trial, Manufacturing Plant in Background

Detroit Arsenal (2) History

Originally a U.S. Government owned tank manufacturing arsenal established in 1940 and completed in 1941 at the beginning of World War II. Chrysler operated the facility over much of its life until it was sold to General Dynamics in 1982. The tank plant manufactured the M1 Abrams tank until the plant was closed in 1996. Part of the land was transferred to the City of Warren in 2001 and the remainder is an active Army installation that includes HQ U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) and the U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command.

Current Status

Active military installation in Warren, Macomb County, Michigan.


USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 2512163


Location: Warren, Macomb County, Michigan.

Maps & Images

Lat: 42.49196 Long: -83.04164

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No



Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox