Crockett Blockhouse (1855-1856) - Two stockaded civilian blockhouses were first established in 1855 during the Yakima Indian War (1855-1858) by settlers on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington. Named after Colonel Walter Crockett on whose farm it was built. Abandoned as a fortification about 1856.
The Crockett Blockhouse was actually two blockhouses connected by a log stockade built in 1855 during the Yakima Indian War. Abandoned as a fortification about 1856 after the hostile Indians had been driven further east.
One of the blockhouses was moved in 1909 to the Seattle Alaska-Yukon Exposition and later moved to Point Defiance Park in Tacoma. The second blockhouse is still located on the old farm property, it was restored by the WPA in 1938.
Part of Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington. The WPA restored blockhouse is open to the public.
Visited: 11 Aug 2022, 11 May 2014, 14 Apr 2010, 21 Jun 2009