Columbus Fort (1864-1864) - A Confederate earthworks defense established in 1864 at the old town of Columbus in present day Suwannee County, Florida. Abandoned in 1864.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
The Confederate defenses at the old town of Columbus (now gone) protected the vital rail link across the Suwannee river and the landing at the head of navigation at old Columbus. The railroad bridge across the Suwannee was the major link between east and west Florida. In anticipation of an attack by Union forces coming up the river, Confederate forces built two strong earth works forts on the east side of the river, one on each side of the tracks facing the river. The remains of the fort on the right flank of the bridge are preserved in the Suwannee River State Park.
The only threat to the crossing came from the land side on the east by Union General Truman A. Seymour who advanced toward Columbus in February 1864. The invading Union army was stopped at the battle of Olustee on 20 Feb 1864 between Jacksonville and Lake City. The bridge and the defenses at Columbus remained in Confederate hands until the end of the war.
Part of Suwannee River State Park, Suwannee County, Florida. Earthworks and rifle pits remain.
Visited: 24 Jan 2012