Columbia Arsenal (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Columbia Arsenal (2) (1888-1902) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1888 in present day Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee. Abandoned in 1902. Also known as Camp Hamilton (2) during the Spanish-American War.
Columbia Arsenal (2) History
The 67 acres for the arsenal was deeded to the U.S. Government on 26 Nov 1888 and the government spent approximately $450,000.00 on the nine stone buildings and equipage for the arsenal. During the Spanish-American War the post was known as Camp Hamilton (2) and was used train Spanish-American War troops.
The arsenal was abandoned in 1902 and conveyed by act of Congress, 23 Apr 1904, to the Columbia Military Academy for use as a military school. The military academy closed in 1978.
Now the Columbia Academy in Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee
Location: Columbia Academy, Ruby Brown Drive & Trotwood Dr. in Columbia, Maury County, Tennessee.
Maps & Images
Lat: 35.613457 Long: -87.05778
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 739
Columbia Arsenal (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!