Citizens Redoubt (1776-1783) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort first established as Badlam's Redoubt in 1776 in New York City, New York County, New York. Abandoned by Patriot forces with the British occupation of New York City in 1776. Rebuilt by Loyalist citizens and renamed Citizens Redoubt. Returned to Patriot control in November 1783 when the British evacuated New York City. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war. Also known as Badlam's Battery.
History of Fort Citizens Redoubt
Established in the spring of 1776 as a Patriot redoubt with eight guns on Rutger's Hill. Abandoned by Patriot forces with the British capture of New York City in November 1776. Rebuilt by Loyalist citizens and renamed Citizens Redoubt. Returned to Patriot control after the British evacuation of New York City on 25 Nov 1783. Abandoned as a fortification in 1783 at the end of the war
No remains. Location indicated at the intersection of Market Street and Madison Street in New York City.