Chain Bridge Battery (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 at Chain bridge in Northwest Washington DC. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Chain Bridge Battery
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthworks fortification with emplacements for two field guns and a separate blockhouse at the Washington DC end of the Chain Bridge .
The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134.