Cape Elizabeth Military Reservation
Cape Elizabeth Military Reservation (1942-1946) - A World War II Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1942 on Cape Elizabeth in Cumberland County, Maine. Abandoned in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine.
Four separate parcels of land were acquired for the Cape Elizabeth Military Reservation. The largest site was 32.62 acres formally acquired in 1943 for Battery 201 (Site 1A). Site 1B was 7.3 acres behind site 1A, acquired in 1943 for a fire control tower housing the BC station and observation station for Battery 201.
Site 2A was .16 acres acquired in 1942 for a combined fire control tower and SCR 296 radar tower #1. This site contained the original west tower of the Cape Elizabeth Two Lights that was built 1874. The tower was converted into the fire control and radar station. Now in private hands.
Site 3A was .30 acres acquired in 1942 for SCR 296 radar tower #4 on Dyer Point.
Battery 101 was planned for Cape Elizabeth Military Reservation but was never built and it is unclear just where it would have been sited.
Part of Two Lights State Park, Cumberland County, Maine. No period gun or mounts in place.
Recent Blog Posts
Visited: 15 Jun 2012