Camp at Fremonts Peak
Camp at Fremonts Peak (1846-1846) - A temporary U.S. Army Camp established in 1846 by Captain John C. Fremont on the border of present day San Benito County and Monterey County, California. Abandoned in 1846. Also known as Fort Fremont Peak.
While California still belonged to Mexico and before the start of the Mexican War, Captain John C. Fremont, U.S. Topographic Engineers, took a small expeditionary force to California. When Fremont and his men reached the Monterey area, Mexican General Jose Castro ordered Fremont to leave. Fremont’s party headed up to nearby Gabilan Peak, where they built a log fortification and prepared for a fight. General Castro did not attack and Fremont and his men decided to move on and headed for Oregon. The peak was later renamed Fremont Peak.
The area surrounding Fremont Peak became a state park in 1936.
Part of Fremont Peak State Park, Monterey County and San Benito County, California. Two markers at the trail entrance.