Camp Yerba Buena Island
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Yerba Buena Island (1868-1880) - A U.S. Army Camp first established in 1868 on Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco County, California. Turned over to the U.S. Navy in 1880. Also known as Post at Goat Island, Post on Yerba Buena Island, U.S. Engineer Depot, Yerba Buena Island, and U.S. Quartermaster Depot, Yerba Buena Island.
History of Camp Yerba Buena Island
Established on Yerba Buena Island on 25 Mar 1868 by Captain Samuel M. Mansfield (Cullum 1972), Company D, Battalion of U.S. Engineers. Initially established to provide gun batteries in defense of the San Francisco Harbor but the batteries were never built.
An 1870 report indicates that the post was still unfinished but included two large barracks, three officer's quarters, a guard house and hospital. Company D, Battalion of U.S. Engineers was still at the post with an average strength of 116 men still engaged in the construction of the post.
The engineers departed in May 1871 and the post became U.S. Quartermaster Depot, Yerba Buena Island manned by elements of the 2nd U.S. Artillery. In May 1873 the military garrison was reduced to a small detachment and 13 civilians were hired. The small detachments continued to man the post until the last post return 11 July 1878.
Major Joseph Stewart (Cullum 1128), 4th U.S. Artillery, was confined to the limits of Yerba Buena Island by para IV, Special Order 71, HQ Military Divison of the Pacific, 14 Jun 1875, for a period of one year ending on 17 Jun 1876. Major Stewart remained at the post in casual status (not in command although very senior to the commander) until 9 Oct 1876. During some of this time the post commander was 1st Lt. William F. Stewart Major Stewart's son.
|1868-03-25||1871-04||Captain||Mansfield, Samuel M.||1972||Company D, Battalion of U.S. Engineers|
|1871-06-03||1872-07-12||Major||Sawtelle, Charles G.||1668||Quartermaster|
|1872-08||1872-10-25||Major||Tidball, John C.||1379||2nd U.S. Artillery|
|Howe, Albion||N/A||4th U.S. Artillery|
Scalped & killed 26 Apr 1873 Modoc War
|1873-03-19||1873-09-30||Captain||Martin, William P.||N/A|
|1873-10-13||1874-08||Ord. Sgt.||Cryderman, Joseph||N/A|
|1874-11-16||1876-04-20||1st Lt.||Everett, William||2237||4th U.S. Artillery|
|1876-04-20||1877-02-27||1st Lt.||Stewart, William F.||N/A||4th U.S. Artillery|
|1877-04-01||1877-07-16||2nd Lt.||Jones, James M.||2566||4th U.S. Artillery|
|1877-07-16||1878-09-18||Captain||Lafferty, John||N/A||8th U.S. Cavalry|
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
The post was turned over to the U.S. Navy in 1880.
Now houses a U.S. Coast Guard Station and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge passes over the old post.
Location: On Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco County, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.8136491 Long: -122.3613024
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 100
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 37-38
- North American Forts - Camp Yerba Buena Island
- Buena Island Wikipedia - Camp Yerba Buena Island
- California Military Museum - Camp Yerba Buena Island
Camp Yerba Buena Island Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!