Camp Wright (3)
Camp Wright (3) (1861-1866) - A U.S. Army U.S. Civil War Camp first established in 1861 by elements of the 2nd U.S. Infantry on Warner's Ranch, San Diego County, California. The post was moved to Oak Grove in San Diego County by Major Edwin A. Rigg, 1st California Volunteer Infantry later in 1861. Named Camp Wright after Brigadier General George Wright (Cullum 309), commander of the Department of the Pacific. Abandoned in 1866. Also known as Warner's Ranch Camp.
History of Camp Wright (3)
First established 18 Oct 1861 by elements of the 2nd U.S. Infantry on Warner's Ranch in San Diego County and moved to Oak Grove on 25 Nov 1861. The new camp was established by Major Edwin A. Rigg, 1st California Volunteer Infantry, to keep an eye on Confederate sympathizers in southern California. Post returns exist through April 1862 and some sources indicate that the post was a transient camp from that point through the remainder of the war.
Abandoned after the end of the war in December 1866.
Marker only near Oak Grove, San Diego County, California. Located adjacent to the Oak Grove Stage Station that was established in 1858. The Oak Grove location has water, trees and grass for the animals.
Visited: 21 Nov 2015