Camp Winfield Scott
Camp Winfield Scott (1866-1871) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1866 during the Snake Indian War by Captain Murray Davis, Company A, 8th U.S. Cavalry, in Humboldt County, Nevada. Named for Major General Winfield Scott. Abandoned in 1871.
Camp Winfield Scott History
Established 12 Dec 1866 by Captain Murray Davis and Company A, 8th U.S. Cavalry. The camp was built of adobe, rock and lumber along Cottonwood Creek at the north end of Paradise Valley, Nevada. Established to control hostile Indians who were attacking settlers and miners.
As of July 1870 an inspection report indicated that the post had Adobe Quarters for 100 men, two adobe officer's quarters almost completed, two sod quartermaster's storage buildings, a rough stone hospital, an insecure guardhouse and stables described as "... liable to take fire at any time." The 1870 plan shown above would seem to indicate the future goal for building out the camp.
On 19 Feb 1871, 2nd Lieutenant Otto L. Hein, (Cullum 2358), 1st U.S. Cavalry, commanding the detachment at Camp Winfield Scott, departed the camp with all but 6 men left to guard the remaining government property. The camp was closed as of that date.
The site is on private property about four miles north of the town of Paradise Valley in Humboldt County, Nevada. No public access, road is gated and locked. A marker mentioning the role of the camp is located in the town of Paradise Valley.
Visited: 10 Oct 2016