Camp Wilkins (1844-1845) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1844 by Lt. Colonel Ethan A. Hitchcock (Cullum 177), 3rd U.S. Infantry, adjacent to Fort Jesup in present day Sabine Parish, Louisiana. Named for William Wilkins, Secretary of War (1844–1845). Abandoned in 1845 when the troops departed for New Orleans.
Camp Wilkins History
Established by Lt. Colonel Ethan A. Hitchcock and eight companies of the 3rd U.S. Infantry on 10 May 1844. The camp was built adjacent to Fort Jesup in Sabine Parish, Louisiana. Two more companies arrived on 23 Apr 1845 from Jefferson Barracks.
The camp was abandoned on 7 Jul 1845 when the troops departed for New Orleans and eventually to participate in the occupation of Texas.
Unknown, Sabine Parish, Louisiana.
Camp Wilkins Picture Gallery