Camp Wikoff (1898-1898) - A Spanish American War Camp first established in 1898 on Montauk Point, Suffolk County, New York. Established as an isolation camp for returning soldiers from service in Cuba and Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War. Named Camp Wikoff by G.O. 120, 15 Aug 1898, after Colonel Charles A. Wikoff, 22nd U.S. Infantry, who was killed during the Spanish American War in the assaults on San Juan Heights, Cuba. Camp abandoned in 1898.
History of Camp Wikoff
Established in August 1898 as an isolation camp for returning soldiers from service in Cuba and Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War. Troops returning from overseas began to arrive on 14 Aug 1898 to a camp that was not complete and could not provide basic services or proper medical care for the wounded and sick. The Camp struggled to catch up with the ever increasing numbers of sick troops, some 10,000 troops were treated in thirty days and the camp contained over 21,000 troops at one time. Conditions were bad and at one point President William McKinley and Secretary of War Alger visited the camp to show support. Troops were processed out as soon as possible and the last unit left the camp 28 Oct 1898 and the camp was abandoned.
Part of Montauk County Park, Montauk Point, Suffolk County, New York.