Camp Washington (9)
Camp Washington (9) (1861-186?) - A Union U.S. Civil War camp first established early in 1861 near Springfield, Hampshire County, West Virginia. Periodically occupied by Confederate forces and Union forces.
History of Camp Washington
Union General Benjamin F. Kelley first established Camp Washington in early 1861 on the Washington Bottom Farm to secure the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad tracks. The site was near the wire bridge over the South Branch of the Potomac River. As the war progressed, Union and Confederate troops moved through the area and both occupied this site.
Federal forces temporarily withdrew from the area and Confederate Lt. Colonel Turner Ashby, 7th Virginia Cavalry, established his headquarters here early in the summer of 1861. His younger brother, Richard Ashby, died here from wounds sustained in an engagement on Kelly’s Island on the Potomac River on June 28.
Visited: 31 May 2016