Fort Storey (1860-1860) - A temporary California/Nevada Militia earthworks established in 1860 during the Pyramid Lake Paiute War by the Washoe Regiment in present-day Storey or Washoe County, Nevada. Named for Captain Edward Fariss Storey who was killed near the post in June 1860. Abandoned in 1860. Also known as Camp Storey.
The need for this fortification came about when a large force of California and Nevada Militia (about 544 volunteers) under Colonel John C. Hays combined with some 207 U.S. regular troops under Captain Joseph Stewart (Cullum 1128) was engaged by a band of hostile Paiute Indians in the second battle of the Pyramid Lake Paiute War. The first battle, fought on 12 May 1860, was a decided victory for the Paiutes and some 70 settlers including their commander Major Wiliam Ormsby were killed and the remainder routed.
This temporary earthwork was constructed on 3 Jun 1860 after the second battle on 2 Jun 1860. The second battle was a draw but the Paiutes withdrew and the main body of the forces left in pursuit. The fort was constructed to make the position defensible for those who remained but the Paiutes did not return and the fortification was abandoned. Captain Joseph Stewart and his regulars were directed to construct a permanent fort named Fort Churchill (1).
No remains, the site was once thought to be in Virginia City but it is now thought to be along the Truckee River about eight miles south of Pyramid Lake in Storey or Washoe County, Nevada. The map point may not be accurate. The exact site of the fort could be in Washoe country since the Truckee River forms the county line.
Visited: 21 Mar 2014