|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Stanislaus (1849-1849) - A temporary summer U.S. Army training Camp established in 1849 by Major Albert S. Miller (Cullum 359), 2nd U.S. Infantry near the present day town of Oakdale, Stanislaus County, California. Abandoned in 1849.
History of Camp Stanislaus
Established in 1849 by Major Albert S. Miller, 2nd U.S. Infantry as a temporary summer training camp on the north bank of the Stanislaus River near Oakdale. The site was abandoned later in 1849. The following year (1850) Camp Frederica was established nearby but not on the same site. Camp Frederica was abandoned later in 1850.
Exact site unknown, in or near Oakdale, Stanislaus County, California. Map point is approximate and not accurate.
Location: Oakdale, Stanislaus County, California.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.77808 Long: -120.85361
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 94
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 36
Camp Stanislaus Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!