Camp Stambaugh (1870-1878) - Established 20 Aug 1870 by Maj. James S. Brisbin, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, named for 1st Lt. Charles B. Stambaugh, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, killed by Indians 4 May 1870. Abandoned 17 Aug 1878 and transferred to the Interior Department 3 May 1881.
Camp Stambaugh History
Established to protect the miners in the Sweetwater district.
Just traces of buildings remain and a historical marker.