Camp Sherman (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Sherman (2) (1917-1921) - A World War I National Army Camp first established in 1917 near Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio. Named Camp Sherman in G.O. 95, 18 Jul 1917, after General William T. Sherman (Cullum 1022), U.S. Civil War general. Abandoned in 1921.
One of sixteen National Army Training Camps established in 1917 to train World War I draftees. Established 28 Jun 1917 under the supervision of Captain Walter L. Gickler on a site of about 1,700 acres. The camp was to be "U" shaped with a capacity of about 40,000 troops, it was complete in October 1917 at a cost of about $ 4,000,000. Over 2000 temporary WWI style buildings were constructed including a Hospital with 50 buildings.
The first commander of the Camp was Major General Edwin F. Glenn (Cullum 2698) who formed the 83rd U.S. Infantry Division and trained the troops. The 83rd arrived in September 1917 and departed for France on 5 Jun 1918 arriving in Europe on 19 Jun 1918. The 83rd was designated as a Depot Division and provided replacements for officer and enlisted casualties in other units. Some elements saw combat action but the division as a whole did not.
After the departure of the 83rd the 95th U.S. Infantry Division was formed at Camp Sherman on 4 Sep 1918 and training continued until the war ended on 11 Nov 1918. The division was demobilized in December 1918 without being deployed to Europe.
At the end of the war the camp became a demobilization center and a convalescent hospital until all discharges were completed on 16 Jul 1920. The hospital remained open to care for injured. The Camp was abandoned in 1921 pursuant to War Department General Order 33, J27 Jul 1921.
Marker only, the site now used by the Chillicothe VA Medical Center, Chillicothe Correctional Institute and Ross Correctional Institution in Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Camp Sherman Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 1067200
- Location: Ross County, Ohio, US, FIPS Code: 39141
- Latitude: 39.3680556, Longitude: -83.0008333, Elevation: 646 Map: Chillicothe West
- As Of: 01 Feb 1992
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Chillicothe, Ross County, Ohio.
Maps & Images
Lat: 39.3680556 Long: -83.0008333
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 647
- North American Forts - Camp Sherman
- Wikipedia - Camp Sherman
- Chillicothe Info - Camp Sherman Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4 Excellent Pictures/Postcards
- Remarkable Ohio - Camp Sherman Marker
Camp Sherman (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!