Camp Russell (1864-1865) - Established in 1864 during the U.S. Civil War by the 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry and named for Maj. Gen. David A. Russell. Disbanded in 1865.
Camp Russell History
The State Fair Grounds was converted into Camp Russell with the Pavilion becoming a barracks and kitchen and the dance hall a drill hall.
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 136
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 151
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 667
Visited: 11 Nov 2007