Camp Recovery (1820-1821) - A U.S. Army post established in 1820 as a convalescent camp for soldiers from nearby Fort Scott (3). Located by present day Recover, Decatur County, Georgia. Abandoned in 1821.
Established 15 Sep 1820 as a medical camp for the treatment of soldiers from nearby Fort Scott (3). Many of the soldiers at Fort Scott (3) suffered from malaria and dysentery contracted as a result of the poor location of the post. Camp recovery was established on higher ground away from the river and about three miles from the fort. A cemetery was also established nearby for the soldiers that died here.
Private property east of Recovery, Decatur County, Georgia. A gate and marker are located alongside the road and a vertically mounted cannon serves as a memorial, privately maintained and kept in outstanding condition. A second marker is located in the town of Bainbridge, Georgia. (zoom out on the map to see the Bainbridge Marker)
Visited: 25 Jan 2012