Camp Newell (1911-1924) - A U.S. Army Mexican Border Wars Camp established in 1911 near the town of Naco in Cochise County, Arizona. Also known as Newell Cantonment, Camp Naco, and Naco Cantonment. Abandoned by the military in 1924 but used by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) from 1935 to 1937.
Soldiers were first stationed at Camp Newell in November 1910 and remained because of continued fighting across the border, including the Battle of Naco in 1913 and the later Siege of Naco in 1915 in Sonora. Subsequent to Pancho Villa’s attack on Columbus, New Mexico in 1916, Camp Newell was a staging area for American troops protecting the border. An improved camp was constructed in 1917 as part of the Mexican Border Project. It was the headquarters of the 1st Infantry Regiment of the Arizona National Guard.
Camp Newell was home to troops of the U.S. Army 9th and 10th Cavalry and 25th Infantry. Fort Huachuca assigned African-American Buffalo Soldier units to its Cantonment from 1911 to 1924. Their duties focused on patrolling the border and protecting U.S. citizens who came to Naco to watch Mexican Revolution battles raging across the line. Troop strength varied over the years from 50 to 5000 soldiers.
From 1935 to 1937, the Civilian Conservation Corps was based there.
A number of buildings survive but most appear in a neglected state. A chain-link fence surrounds the compound but the remaining post buildings can be seen from the road. In 2018 the site was reportedly acquired by the city of Bisbee, Arizona.