Camp Navajo (1942-Present) - A U.S. Army post established in 1942 as Navajo Ordnance Depot during World War II in Bellemont, Coconino County, Arizona. It was renamed Navajo Army Depot in 1965 and Navajo Depot Activity in 1982. The post was designated Camp Navajo in 1993 and transferred to the Arizona National Guard. Active military installation.
Established during World War II as a 28,347 acre Army Depot operating as a trans-shipment point for munitions headed for the Pacific war and as a disposal activity for obsolete and deteriorated munitions.
From March 1945 through 1946 the Camp housed some 250 Austrian Prisoners of War (POW)s.
Camp Navajo is currently a multi-service training facility and provides multi-agency depot level logistic support. It is a Department of Defense facility operated by the Arizona National Guard.
The Camp is an active munitions storage site for numerous civilian and military customers and an inspectable site under the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) because of the storage of ICBM rocket motors.
Active military installation, Camp Navajo, Bellemont, Coconino County, Arizona
Visited: 16 Mar 2013