Camp Morton (1)
Camp Morton (1) (1861-1865) - An Indiana Volunteer Camp established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War in present day Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. Named for Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana. Became a prisoner of war camp in 1862, abandoned in 1865.
Established in April 1861 as a U.S. Civil War volunteer training camp. Converted to a prisoner of war camp in February 1862. Processed some 15,000 Confederate prisoners of war between 1862 and 1865. The capacity of the camp is listed as 2,000 prisoners while the most held at one time is shown as 5,000 prisoners. Over 150 prisoners are listed as escapees while 1,763 are listed as having died at the camp.
Located on a 36-acre tract of land that had been purchased for a fairgrounds. Enclosed by present-day 19th St., 22nd St., Talbott St. and Delaware to Central Ave.
Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Marker only in Herron-Morton Place Park in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana.