Camp Milton (1862-1864) - A Confederate earthworks defense established in 1862, during the U.S. Civil War by General P.G.T. Beauregard at Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida. Named for Governor John Milton, the U.S. Civil War confederate governor of Florida. Abandoned and destroyed in 1864.
Camp Milton History
Camp Milton was built out as a large Confederate earthworks defense west of Jacksonville to keep federal troops bottled up in Jacksonville. Camp Milton was eastern Florida headquarters for the Confederate States of America (CSA) and had the largest concentration of Confederate troops in Florida. The post held some 6,000 infantry, 1,500 cavalry; and 430 field pieces. In addition to the planned three miles of earthworks there were officers barracks and a tent city.
The post was abandoned twice by Confederate troops and finally captured and destroyed by Union forces on 26 Jul 1864.
Part of Camp Milton City Park, Duval County, Florida. Only a small portion of the earthworks are preserved and interpreted in the park.
Visited: 25 Feb 2012