Camp Meade (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Meade (2) (1898-1899) - A Spanish American War 2nd Army Corps organization and training camp established in 1898 near Middletown, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Named Camp Meade after General George G. Meade, U.S. Civil War General. Abandoned in 1899. Also known as Camp George G. Meade.
History of Camp Meade
Established about 15 Aug 1898 as a replacement for Camp Alger in Virginia which had a growing Typhoid Fever epidemic. The camp site covered about three square miles northwest of Middletown. The site was initially abandoned in Nov 1898 with regiments sent south for the winter.
The camp was partially reopened April - June 1899 to muster out volunteer units and repened July - November 1899 to house some of the new volunteer regiments authorized for the Philippine insurrection.
Marker near Middletown High School on North Union St., Middletown, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. The area is currently bisected by the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I76) and Route 441, Oberlin Rd. Penn State University Harrisburg Campus is along the south side of the site and some of the 1898 regimental camp sites are on the campus.
Location: Middletown, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Map point is marker location.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.21125 Long: -76.735733
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 686
Camp Meade (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!