Camp Low (1864-1865) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1864 during the U.S. Civil War by Major John C. Ceremony, 1st Battalion of Native Cavalry, California Volunteers in present day San Juan Bautista, San Benito County, California. Named for Frederick F. Low, Governor of California (1863-1867). Abandoned in 1865. Also known as San Juan Bautista Post.
Camp Low History
Established in December of 1864 by Major John C. Ceremony, 1st Battalion of Native Cavalry, California Volunteers in San Juan Bautista to pursue an outlaw gang with secessionist sympathies that was terrorizing the valley.
The camp was established on the town plaza across from the Mission San Juan Bautista but the National Hotel on the plaza was soon rented by the Government and it became their barracks.
A detachment of the Native Cavalry led by Lieutenant John Lafferty skirmished with a leader of the Mason Henry gang, John Mason, but was only able to capture his horse. The Mason Henry Gang was driven out of central California in May 1865 and the post was abandoned in June 1865.
Part of San Juan Bautista State Historic Park. The plaza and hotel remain in the town of San Juan Bautista, San Benito County, California
Visited: 23 Nov 2012