Camp Los Lunas (1852-1862) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1852 by Capt. Richard Ewell (Cullum 1029), Company G, 1st U.S. Dragoons near Los Lunas, Valencia County, New Mexico. Named Camp Los Lunas after the location. Abandoned in 1862. Also known as Fort Los Lunas; and often, incorrectly, by false etymology, as Camp Las Lunas.
History of Camp Los Lunas
Established on 3 Jan 1852 by Company G, 1st U.S. Dragoons to control hostile bands of Apaches and Navajo. Occupied intermittently until finally abandoned in October 1862.
Camp Los Lunas Partial Commanders List (edit list)
||Ewell, Richard Stoddart
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 526.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 921272