Camp Lockett (1941-1946) - A World War II Camp first established in 1941 as a Mexican border cavalry post in San Diego County, California. Named Camp Lockett after Colonel James Lockett (Cullum 2798), who was awarded two Silver Stars for gallantry in action in the Philippines in 1899. The camp was declared surplus on 30 Apr 1946.
History of Camp Lockett
A World War II Camp established in 1941 as a Mexican border cavalry post. The duty at the post was the protection of the border, the dams and transportation facilities. Later used as an Italian prisoner of war camp and convalescent hospital activated in July 1944. The camp was declared surplus 30 Apr 1946.
About 52 of the World War II era camp buildings remain at Campo, San Diego County, California.
Visited: 7 Nov 2014