Camp Harry J. Jones
Camp Harry J. Jones (1910-1933) - A U.S. Army Mexican border camp first established in 1910 as Camp Douglas in the town of Douglas, Cochise County, Arizona. Renamed Camp Harry J. Jones in 1916 after Harry J. Jones, a soldier who was killed 1 Nov 1915 by a stray bullet while guarding the U. S. Customs House in Douglas. Abandoned in 1933.
History of Camp Harry J. Jones
Established in 1910 on the United States-Mexican border just east of the town of Douglas Arizona. One of a number of camps established during this period along the border with Mexico to provide security during the border conflict with Mexico. At times there were as many as 10,000 troops stationed along the border, mostly cavalry units.
Camp Douglas was an active post during 1916-17 Mexican Expedition of Major General John J. Pershing, (Cullum 3126), into Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. The post served as the mobilization camp for the Arizona National Guard which was called up for the expedition.
Abandoned in 1933.
No remains Douglas, Cochise County, Arizona.