Camp Hancock (1)
Camp Hancock (1) (1872-1877) - A U.S. Army post established as Camp Greeley in 1872 in present day Bismarck, Burleigh County, North Dakota. Named after Horace Greeley, famous New York Times editor who coined the phrase "Go west young man". Renamed Camp Hancock 7 Oct 1873 after Winfield Scott Hancock (Cullum 1223), commander of the Department of Dakota. Abandoned as a military post in 1877. Continued as a signal station and weather station until 1894.
Camp Hancock (1) History
Established on 9 Aug 1872 to protect Northern Pacific Railroad construction crews at present day Bismarck, North Dakota. When the railroad was completed through Bismarck the post was expanded and became a supply depot for other installations in the area. The post was located adjacent to the railroad tracks in downtown Bismarck.
The post buildings were built of logs and included a barracks, the post surgeon's quarters and five other buildings.
In 1874 a signal station was established at Camp Hancock that was responsible for military messages and also served as a weather observation post. Troops left the camp 12 Apr 1877 but the post continued to operate with a small technical staff until 16 Apr 1894.
Part of the Camp Hancock State Historic Site in Bismarck, Burleigh County, North Dakota. The log post surgeon's quarters remains but with siding covering the log structure. It is now a museum for the camp and other structures on the property including a 1909 train locomotive.
Visited: 15 Sep 2013