Camp Floyd (1858-1862) - A U.S. Army Camp established in 1858 during the Mormon War by Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston, 2nd U.S. Cavalry, in present day Utah County, Utah. Named after Secretary of War, John B. Floyd, who went over to the Confederate side when the U.S. Civil War began. The camp was then renamed Fort Crittenden after Senator John J. Crittenden of Kentucky. Abandoned in 1862.
Camp Floyd History
A U.S. Army Camp established 24 Aug 1858 during the Mormon War by Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston, 2nd U.S. Cavalry with some 2,500 troops. The post was abandoned on 27 Jul 1861 and briefly reoccupied in 1862 but finally replaced by Fort Douglas in Salt Lake City. The post property was sold and the land was turned over to the Interior Department on 22 Jul 1884.
Camp Floyd State Historical Site, Utah County, Utah. The Quartermaster Commissary building remains as the Camp Floyd: Stagecoach Inn State Historic Park and Museum. The post cemetery also remains.